Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Easy Weekend Brunch

When I have friends over for brunch - or most meals for that matter - I like to keep it simple. No fuss, no looking up new recipes, no over-thinking it. I choose a couple dishes I'm very comfortable making, think up a quick menu with a mix of sweet and savory options and try to pick at least one dish I can make ahead of time. These few steps are my tips for eternal stress-free entertaining! As for table decor, I like to add a few fresh blooms in mismatched vases and display them around the table. All easy and inexpensive, these little touches add a welcome dose of whimsy to a weekend morning.

The brunch I made this weekend fit the bill. I first made yogurt parfaits (by mixing Greek yogurt with honey, and layering slices of fresh strawberries). I topped these with a few spoonfuls of good granola and served them family-style, in a couple of pretty bowls. I made these a couple hours before my guests arrived, popped them in the fridge and topped them with the granola at the last minute. Next of my list were creamy scrambled eggs with feta and chives, with a side of crispy bacon (no time for a photo unfortunately!). This was the only tricky dish - you have to make this right when you want to serve it, but it's worth it, and what brunch would be complete without some sort of egg concoction?

Then, there was an easy homemade bread pudding using sweet challah (I used my base recipe and added raisins and vanilla paste to the mix). I toasted the leftover challah bread and served it with a couple jams - a orange and lemon one, and a classic strawberry. We washed it all down with dark coffee and freshly pressed orange juice.

I'm looking forward to many more of these kinds of brunches this summer!


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your entertaining tips. I live in a small apartment and I rarely invite friends over, which makes me really sad because I love cooking for people. When I like to invite friends, I bring in one or two at a time... This strawberry bread pudding looks lovely! My kind of food!

Kanan Patel said...

Bread pudding looks really awesome. nice one

Chocolate Shavings said...

Kanan Patel: Thank you!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Margarita: Thanks, and I will be posting more entertaining tips.. so stay tuned!

Emily said...

so lovely! i would come for brunch anytime. :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

Emily: Feel free;) !

Jamie said...

This is so the perfect brunch: natural, delicious, seasonal yet simple foods served family style. I love the simple parfaits...something perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack, dessert or even lunch! And what a beautiful brioche. I never prepare brunch but you have inspired me!

daphne said...

I agree!! Keeping it simple is the best- that looks amazing and what great ideas for brunch! That inspire me ;)

WokandSpoon said...

Great ideas for brunch. I don't tend to have brunch though - I get too hungry to wait for brunch so always have to have breakfast :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

WokandSpoon: I hear you, it's the issue of every early riser! I usually have breakfast early which then makes brunch a sweet and savoury lunch !

susan said...

bread pudding is one of those easy wonderful dishes that feeds a crowd. and although it sounds intimidating, it's one of the easiest things to produce. I love the feel of your photos as well as the graphics! very, very fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin